Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A friend called Ubuntu

This post is dedicated to Linus Torvalds and one of his greatest admirers.

My system went for a toss last week because of some alleged hard disk problems and my hard disk was sent for diagnosis. That’s when my friend gave me Ubuntu, a version of Linux which I had not used before. My system is running without a hard disk for past 3 days and without me getting the slightest feel of it, thanks to the Ubuntu Live Version CD given by my friend.

Previous instances of me working on Linux was some version of Red Hat as a part of my NIIT course and Knoppix for practicing some scripting during my corporate training period. However I am still somewhat linked with open source as all project work I had done in the past 2 years were on Unix platform.

Back to Ubuntu, I never knew Linux was so stylish, user friendly and powerful, it looks more cool than a windows environment, of course with a greater stability that is inbuilt in Linux. I was back online after 10 days with this and I was even able to connect my digicam and import photos from it through an already available utility(unlike Windows where in it creates a dynamic drive from which I will have to copy the required pics).

I was wondering if I shall continue to work on the same by installing the OS once I get my hard disk up. But anyways, accustomed to working on the cheap windows UIs, I don’t think I will do it now.

Anyways, in future, any day any problem, I have a trusted friend to save me…. Ubuntu rocks!!! :-)

4 comments:

Nimme said...

@Srini
Linux always rocks man..
i am really happy to hear u have accepted this fact.
Install ubuntu or RC5 make it a dual boot

I had my days of linux love in college after that i hardly worked in opensource or linux

:)
Linux Rocks

Mark IV S'nathan said...

Welcome Aboard srini...

though i am tied to the world of windows that doesnt open to the real world and Gates that are always closed... Linux is far better..

search for Ubuntu in youtube and u kewl aome really awesome videos on installation and kewl customisation...

but i have a confession to make... i still figuring out how to install a mp3 player in linux...

Mark IV S'nathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

dey machi .. i am using suse now for the love i have developed for linux after being in the good books of all the guys who have used it