Friday, February 13, 2009

The Bus Shift

I have been traveling in city bus to office for more than two months now. I deliberately chose to travel in city bus and cancelled my company bus pass end of last year.

I always enjoy bus travel, especially sitting in the window seat, looking outside and listening to music all the way. But this is not the reason for the shift, because I do this even in company bus.

The main reason was that there was no thrill, no adventure in life. So I atleast I wanted to add some spice to it. Changing buses and sometimes traveling routes, trying different permutations and combinations of bus routes from my home to office... There is a lot of uncertainty with all these which I love very much.

One more important difference is whenever you get into office bus everyday all you get to see is "shit-yet-another-day" kind of faces, atleast that is what I get to see in my bus route. But people who travel everyday in crowded government buses surprisingly look very excited with a good attitude to start the day.

The only problem is the bus timings as no bus in Chennai runs according to any timetable. Again, uncertainty, which is a different experience. Hail the Deluxe and A/c buses which give you utmost comfort especially after a tired day in office.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hey thats a nice though. But i think if u had a gal ;) you would not have all this time to waste.
Yenna Bala naa solradhu correct thaane ;)

Anonymous said...

That may be true, venky. I always thought riding a bus trip or train trip with one's gal would be romantic :-)

KSR, how do you find yourself with that IT geek tag (ID card da !) and travelling down OMR ?? Is this for thrill or that bus fares are hiked up in several IT comps ? hehe

Karthik Srinivasan said...

Bala, he did not mean it that way da... He said that i wont have time for all these I I had a gal in my life, adhaane Venky?

btw, I wear my tag only when i enter office premises :D and yeah, this is much cheaper than the hiked company bus fare at 1400 pm. At 60-70 rs a day, I would pay around 1200 a month, and even lesser if I take few days leave that month. Much cheaper if I take 600 Rs. monthly pass from MTC :D

not to forget the comlimentary breakfast at home since I leave late. :D

Unknown said...

I actually meant what KSR understood. But after reading Bala's reply looks like it isnt a bad option either...

Nimme said...

KSR,
For thrills you are taking route bus?
namba mudiyale..

endho romeo madiri bag mattitu try pannuringa me thinks!!

another thingy is never tell u are from IT in bus..those guys are so much angered on IT..

Flyingscarlet said...

I guess it is an indication that there are more freshers traveling by MTC as compared to aapis bus. It also shows tht you are trying s'thing similar to Madhavan in 'Run' :P . .
You should have come in the bus route which i used to travel in . .. B'day cakes, antakshri, vetti arratai n azhavilla kadalai . . it was all there in my route . . .

Swami said...

KSR,

I Liked your comment on this... good one..

Your math stats.. s/w engineers shud think it out like this on all their expenses..

-Swami

Prashanth said...

Seriously i don think ur takin d bus route for the reason's which u mentioned dear bro :D
So who's dat gal who changed ur route al together :P