Monday, April 10, 2006

Its Lingo - I.T.'s Lingo...

Being in the IT world, you get to learn lot of new phrases and extended use of words. Many of them may be even conventional, but for a pucca local guy accustomed to only local slangs and lingos, even the conventional ones sounds new.

I still remember an incident that happened when I was a new joinee. One of my seniors wanted to check with me if I am lightly loaded, so that some pending work can be assigned to me. When he came to my desk, I was struggling with a website as the net connection was very slow. He came over and asked me “Srinivas, how is your Bandwidth?” I seriously replied, “Yeah, it is slow!!!” He was like “?!?!?!?” and then managed with a laugh explaining to me what he actually wanted to ask. :-)

Well, that was when I learnt that I should not derive literal meaning out of anything and that Bandwidth has also got something to do with work load apart from frequencies and speed. :P Few more of them, I have learnt all these days are: to take a call, per se, taking things offline, giving a buzz, pinging people, FYI, FYA, deliverables etc etc., Added to this, the great questions mentioned in my earlier post. ;-)

It’s a strange world!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

its better we need to know rather get embarrased there !!

Rajesh said...

FYR..is one my PM often uses....rather I use it equally in my mails to him..:-)...