Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Violin Effect

Violin – One instrument that has been a wonder for me all through my life. Right from its appearance to the wonders it does when played; I love everything about a violin.

It is one of the few instruments that can speak on its own. Yes, a good musician can make a Violin speak for itself. And it can adapt itself to any form of music, a rare kind of flexibility which not many instruments have. Also it makes the orchestration rich with its presence. I have wondered many times, how a concert with very few instruments gets a rich feel with the inclusion of Violin in it.

I have listened to all forms of music from Violin right from Carnatic classical(Lalgudi Jayaraman, Kanyakumari) to fusion(Ganesh-Kumaresh, Lalitha-Nandhini, L Subramaniam) to light music(Kunnakudi Vaidhyanadhan, compositions of Ilayaraja) to Western(Vanessa Mae)… It gives me a great pleasure, happiness and feelings that cannot be expressed in words when I listen to a Violin.. It makes me forget all worries.

I missed a golden chance of learning a Violin once in my life. Now, I wish that I could learn to play it one day in my life.

5 comments:

Balachandran C said...

Iam not so inclined to music of carnatic sort. But, i know a string instrument which is very close to violin.. I remember I had played it for long But, its broken now..

Unknown said...

yeah i am not very inclined towards carnatic , but ilayaraja's use of violin has kinda forced me to listen more of violin .

and good bala doesnt have teh string instrument now. ( oorthaangumaa :) )

Unknown said...

i even 4got to tell abt the viloin effect when the first "sparisam" happens in movies ... heroine inadvertantly touches he hero and violin symphony.

kamal made quite some fun in avvai shanmugi ( but he said veenai)

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»